Sunday, December 19, 2010

Food in the KG


While trying to help get through this time of year without being around my friends and family I am trying to educate the people around me about our holidays and what we do to celebrate. Tomorrow in my classes we will be having Christmas parties and I made cookies for them to eat. The problem about being in this country and trying to cook food that you we were so good at cooking when you were back in the states is the ingredients are different here. For example, the sugar they use here is beet sugar and not cane sugar. It reacts differently when you cook with it. I made sugar cookies (I wanted to make ones that we roll out and cut out shapes but I don’t have cookie cutters here and it’s not the same without frosting) and they taste good but they just didn’t turn out right. The best part about it though is that everyone who I’m feeding the cookies to have never had a sugar cookie in America. So to them they are amazing. My nieces really wanted to help me so I let them roll the dough into balls, roll them in sugar, and press a fork into them. They did really well. I also made chocolate chip cookie bars which actually turned out really well. I don’t have vanilla here because it is really hard to find and you can usually only find it in Bishkek and on the lake (they have everything). I think making cookies with my nieces is one of my favorite memories in country to date. I think I might try to cook with them more often. I know for New Years we will make more cookies and make pizza so that will be a lot of fun. They are so much fun. I hope you enjoy the pictures of my family. I enjoy living with them. I think that the best part is EVERY time I come home they come out of the main room and yell, “Brooke Ejay” (Ejay is what you call an older female). It’s so much fun to be loved so much for not doing anything.
This weekend I also made pizza. I think it is the best pizza I have ever made before. One had a butter garlic sauce with pepperoni (yes real pepperoni that another volunteer’s mom sent him from America), peppers, and cheese. That one was AMAZING. And the other pizza had a white garlic sauce with caramelized onions, chicken, and cheese. It was even better the next morning for breakfast. I do what I can to get by with the food. I love cooking and it is a huge destresser. It is also a really great way for me to learn new vocabulary!
Next weekend I will be in Karakol (a large city on the lake) skiing and cooking with friends. I hope that everyone had a great Christmas and is spending it with loved ones!
Brooke

This is Aichuruk pressing the cookies down with a fork

Aidana rolling the cookies in sugar

Me and my little monkeys

No comments:

Post a Comment