Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Bathing is a luxury??

I never thought that I would think getting to bathe once a week by myself would be a luxury. It’s amazing how different your life can be from one year to the next. Last year I was living at home close to my family and friends. I could shower anytime I wanted to. I could eat just about any type of food I would ever want, whenever I would want it. I could drive my car and leave when I wanted to not when transportation permitted. I put all that together and realize that even though I don’t get those “luxuries” I am probably the happiest that I have ever been in my life. So many days I walk down the road and just smile because there is so much to be amazed by! I have met some of the greatest people I have ever met, I am constantly surrounded by nature’s beauty and I’m getting a real life view of how other parts of the world function without all the extras America has. It is so true that happiness comes in simplicity. I have found that there are times I have to remind myself to go take a banya now rather than just making it to the next banya. I don’t always smell good, but neither does anyone else. But it would be nice to be able to bathe and be the only person in there.
The most awkward moment to date during my service in the Peace Corps happened last week when I was in the banya. Usually I go in there and put on my tunnel vision because I just want to get in and out of there ASAP. Well last Friday I was in the changing room and halfway undressed when a woman started talking to me in English. She apparently teaches English at one of the schools in my village and she wants me to help her. We spoke in half English and half Kyrgyz about me helping her and then I gave her number so she could call me and we could set up a meeting. I would prefer to go back to being invisible. Every time something like that happens I just have to remind myself that it is getting me one step closer to being fearless and doing exactly what I want to do when I want to do it. How amazing would life be if we were controlled by our fears?
I think that one of the best parts about being here is that it is giving my ideas of what I want to do for the rest of my life. Well knowing me I doubt I will ever commit to rest of my life, but at least what I want to work towards when I finish my service. The amount of free time here to contemplate life and my purpose in it is sometimes good, but other times not so great.
Right now I’m looking at going into the medical field with some type of nursing. Mostly I would like to either do midwifery or nutrition. I have been researching online for different programs but mostly I have found programs that I need a lot of prerequisites that I have not fulfilled. If anyone knows of any programs that are geared toward non-science bachelor degree people that would help me out a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment