Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Just a normal day

I have been sitting at my computer trying to think of a good story or something interesting that has happened in the past week or so and I’m coming up with a blank. The strangest part of that would be that anyone back at home could have come up with a dozen or so anecdotes, but this is my life now and so much of what was not normal 6 months ago is very normal now. I’ll just tell my story of today and for me it’s normal, but if it happened in America I would be such a crazy story.
I had set up a meeting with a teacher yesterday. We were to meet at 3pm at the school so I could help her with her English and her lesson planning. Well when 3 o’clock rolled around I found her, but she was teaching a class until 4. Hmm… I just chalked it up to miscommunication because sometimes that easier. Then we set up a time to meet this morning. We were going to meet at 9am. That was the time she said would work best for her. Well I showed up at the school at 9am and she was nowhere to be found. I waited for 20 minutes and then sent her a text saying how long I waited and for her to let me know when would be a better time. She called me later to tell me she was at the school at 9am. Well, where were you in the school then, I asked her. “I was in the 9a class.” “How can we have a meeting if you have class at that time?” She didn’t have an answer for me. You know, surprisingly enough… it didn’t really bother me. I have gotten used to people not showing up to meetings. I then went to the new English resource center in my village to help log books. Then I went back to the school to teach the teachers at my school English. When I showed up the teachers said they were too tired to have class and asked if we could do it another day. That again, didn’t bother me. It actually invigorated me because I was able to communicate really well with the teachers and even though they went to get an English teacher to translate even though I never needed it. Everything that the teacher translated was what I understood and I only spoke in Kyrgyz. So we went home. Then, I gave my little niece, 10, an English lesson and it was so wonderful. We worked on the alphabet and sang the song together. I was able to explain the ending to her and she totally understood. I taught her words that started with each letter of the alphabet and she taught me the Russian words for them. All in all it was a really good day. I have noticed that my patients are getting better. I still have my days and problems, but there are a lot of things that I’m starting to let go. Six months in and I’m starting to feel different.
I just need to remember to hold on to these good days to help me get through the tough ones where everything seems to fall apart. Once I am able to do that I will be golden. (in 2 days I’ll have been here for 7 months… time flies!)

No comments:

Post a Comment