Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Calm and Peaceful!

I’m slacking with the blog posts this month, I’m sorry. This country has been going through a lot these past few weeks and as volunteers we have too. The good news is everything is looking good for the government as of now and the people of Kyrgyzstan. It has been very difficult to witness many of the things that have happened to this country in the past six months that I have been here, but at the same time some great changes and leaps forward can come out of it. I’m a strong believer in everything happens for a reason and good can come out of anything! Right now I am sitting under several layers of blankets and still freezing. My heater in my room is on so far today I have gotten the temperature up to a blazing 61 degrees. I have a rough winter to come and the weather is just taunting me. There is another volunteer who lives near me and there are days when I am wearing shorts and she is wearing pants with long underwear. This is the start of her second year and that shows me that if she could make it through a winter year last year I can do it too. It’s kind of funny because I obviously want to do Peace Corps because I want to help people but also this challenge of the crazy winters is intriguing too. I will be able to go out the other side of it and tell stories that will be epic!
This past weekend many volunteers got to spend a lot of time together and do some fun things. One of the nights I made dinner for 22 people and it really brought back memories of cooking in the kitchen at Corbett. Granted I was cooking for 350+ but similar. We made homemade mac and cheese and a veggie salad. All the volunteers loved it and were so grateful to have American food. The cheese here is not so great, but one of the volunteers had pepper jack that was sent from the states and it really helped the flavor a lot. The host mom of the volunteer’s house we were at kept telling me that I need to come back and make food with her and spend more time over there. She said that I would make a great Kyrgyz wife. I take that as a compliment because from her it was intended to be that way. I know that I would make a horrible Kyrgyz wife.
Tonight at the dinner table it was just me and my two nieces eating dinner because everyone else was watching something on TV. They are so cute. They are 10 and 8. It is really amazing because the older one can tell when I don’t understand something and she will stop, thing, and then try to explain it in a different way for me to understand. Her mother is a teacher and I think she takes after her. Those girls make me laugh a lot and I am so happy that I got put with such a great family where everyone is so willing to talk to me.
My host mom went to Bishkek on Monday because she has been very ill for a while now. I’m not sure what she has, but my host sisters have been coming in shifts to take care of the house and the family. She finally went to Bishkek to see a good doctor. My host sister told me today that she will be having an operation sometime soon. Please send good thoughts her way. Her name is Alma (it means apple). I really hope that this helps and that she heals quickly! She is such a caring, loving, wonderful woman and it is so hard to see her in pain. Thanks!
People have been sending great care packages. It is so great to get something in the mail. It really looks like everything is going to be calm and no problems, so if you have been holding out because of a possibility of me leaving the country feel free to send the package now! :) They are much appreciated! Thanks,
Brooke

Here are some pictures of one of my attempts to teach girls to play soccer. :)


Me "playing" soccer with the neighbor girls. They were more interested in taking pictures. HA I remember that age!


My little niece loves to pose for pictures.


This niece doesn't live with me. I only get to see her once in a while. She is probably one of the cutest kids I have ever seen and she has the personality to match!

No comments:

Post a Comment