Friday, June 11, 2010

Sugar is not a breakfast food

Today is day 8 in my new village and things are getting easier. It is really hard not having my American friends right down the street but my language is really improving a lot. Well, to be honest, I haven’t really noticed that much of a difference, but I have faith that it is getting better. Some interesting things that I’ve noticed that are different here than in American:
• Everyone constantly tells you to drink and eat even if you just took a sip of your chi. (We tried to explain to our counterparts why it’s weird to Americans that someone would keep telling you to drink and eat… I don’t think it worked. My counterpart tries to say “please drink” in English and doesn’t get why it doesn’t work. Oh well, it’s all with good intentions)
• My host mom tells me to eat cookies at breakfast. That makes the American sugar cereals look not as bad. (Mom, that’s so different than everything you taught me about what is ok to eat in the morning)
• I have also witnessed 3 year old children only eat candy for their dinner. Children are almost force fed candy from a very young age.
• If someone comes over (even for just a second) it is rude to not offer them chi and it is rude to not accept. So, to get around that they do this thing called “ostie” which literally means to touch your mouth. They take a small piece of bread and do a closing prayer. The best part about “ostie” is that if I make something I can say that word and they have to try it.
• Life is much slower here and they take the time to talk, listen, and really get to know each other.
• Kyrgyz people are very hard to read. They don’t really smile or show their emotions. (I don’t blend in that way)
I really like it here, but some days it’s really hard to not be around people who understand you and where you come from. It’s great to educate and share cultural differences and to learn more about their culture. It is amazing how much it is centered around family and helping one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment