Monday, February 7, 2011

More about life!

This is from a week ago:

I’m in Bishkek right now for some work and medical things and it is amazing how different the life is here. I got to eat chicken burgers and real fries; I bought peanut butter, Pringles, and hot sauce; I got to take a real, hot shower in a room that wasn’t 40 degrees (the last time that happened was almost 3 months ago). It is nice to live up this luxury once in a while, but it makes me miss my At-Bashy home where people know me as I walk down the street and I can speak Kyrgyz to everyone. There are many times in Bishkek where I can’t communicate because the person doesn’t speak Kyrgyz. I also don’t have to tell people several times that I don’t speak Russian when I am back in my village. Luxury is nice, but I really do appreciate my simple life!
These past few weeks back at school have been interesting. I have been having some difficulties with one of my counterparts, but I think we have found a compromise. My other counterpart and are really starting to work well together and I am seeing huge improvements. We often talk about how grateful we are that we are able to work together. I got to meet her husband the other day and he seemed wonderful too. He was so excited to meet me and he also drove me into town so I didn’t have to walk. It’s always so great to really begin to feel a friendship developing, especially when you are alone in a place and have very few friends. I have my volunteer friends, but it is great to start to build bonds with local people as well.
I had a meeting with one of my counterparts and my director (the principal of the school). We talked about future projects that I would like to do and things that they would like done at the school. It seems like we are seeing eye to eye and I am really excited. One goal I have is to build a green house at our school and educate the community about fruits and vegetables. I can really see this helping the community out a lot and helping them get the nutrients their bodies need (especially during the winter months).
I have been having a lot of fun with my family. My family sent presents for them and also flash cards to help teach English. My nieces were so cute with their presents. They got Hello Kitty notepads and they wrote everyone’s phone number in them. They were so excited when they got to my number. They had to show me several times. About 3 nights a week we practice English together. We spell words and count and play games that they volunteer who lived with them before me gave them (candyland and chutes and ladders). I have started to try to tell more stories about my life. They never come out perfectly, but they are really good at understanding and making me feel good for trying. Most of the time when my oldest niece is in the room listening after I finish she will look confused and say, “I don’t understand.” It always makes me laugh!
My schedule is starting to really fill up. That’s good because that helps me focus on what I’m doing here and I don’t get homesick. When there is nothing to do and it is really cold outside it’s really hard to remember why I came here. I’m happy to see progress and see that there is a purpose. Even if it is small, at least I have been a part of a few people’s lives and exposed them to something they would have never seen before.
Life is good. Thank you to everyone who sent me packages and Christmas cards. It really helped to get a little bit of home during this time of year. As the temp drops to -25C (it sounds colder in C) during the night think of me and think warm thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment