Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Things that make me smile:

1. My counterpart’s daughter (who is three) coming in the room that we were planning in eating a carrot that was the size of a baseball at the largest part. She had eaten the rest of it already. I was so sad that I didn’t have my camera with me that day.
2. The mountains full of snow!
3. A herd of sheep and goats (probably 50+) walking down the middle of the main road that goes from At Bashy to Naryn. I saw this three times in two days
4. Men painting the large welcome to At Bashy sign with regular sized paint brushes.
5. School being let out because of snow. No not because it is too dangerous for the school buses to drive in the snow (we don’t have those) but because the kids need to be home digging up potatoes and getting animals home from jailoo (the place where animals go for the summer). Winter came two months early this year.
6. Riding in a taxi with four grown men while listening to Pit Bull, Lady Gaga, MJ… Any pop music from America. They have no idea the song is about.
7. Being asked what a song is saying when it is really dirty. I usually lie and say that I don’t understand it when they are rapping. HA.
8. Going to a volunteer’s apartment who lives in the city and making American food! SO good! Roasted veggies, pasta, tomato sauce, and homemade garlic bread!
9. Going to the American Center in Naryn and getting 5 new books to read!
10. Reading a really good book and talking about with a friend! (East of Eden was so good!!!)
11. Being finished with washing my clothes. I hand washed my jeans for the first time in six months and now my body hurts from all of the wringing! Blah!
12. Eating peanut butter. I have always loved it, but for some reason it tastes so much better here… even if it is from America. Probably because it’s not sheep fat!

No comments:

Post a Comment