Sunday, April 11, 2010

Ups and downs, but loving it!

Today was an up and down day for me! I started overwhelmed and stressed. I cried in language class several times because I was so frustrated. I sit next to a guy who is learning his sixth language and he said that Kyrgyz is a difficult language to learn. Good job Brooke for starting with this one!! J HA. I have days (but mostly moments because I just started learning it a week ago) when I think that there is no way that I will ever get this, but then I have times when I know I can. My parents always taught me to finish what I started (thanks Mom and Dad) and I’ve only just begun a two + year journey. I love everything about this place. I love the community, I love the small farm in my back yard (I will get more into that soon), I love that I wake up in the morning to see the Tien Shen Mountains in my backyard. It is utterly amazing here. It smells like cow everywhere here (and if you know me well you know that I love that). I have to stop in the road to let a heard of sheep pass by. I can go and study at a friend’s house and it is rude to not stay and have chi (drink tea and eat bread). I believe that this country was made for me! I miss everyone very much, but if I had to go anywhere I’m glad I’m here.

Ok, now about my family. I have a mom and a dad and 5 siblings. Sadly, only my apa (mom in Kyrgyz) lives here during the week. This is really good for me though because two of my sisters speak English very well and I don’t practice Kyrgyz when they are around. My host dad, two host sisters, and host brother come on the weekends. They live in Bishkek so during the week it is just my host mom and me. I do see our communication getting progressively better. She knows less English than I know Spanish so we it has been a challenge. My host dad works there and the kids go to school there. I really enjoy how much the community enjoys the fact that I am trying and want to learn more and they help as much as they can. Not only my host family helps me but everyone everywhere in the village. I got lost (not really lost, but passed my street) today and I was able to communicate to a local where I was trying to go and he helped me. Such a good moment! It gave me hope that I can do this. I have found that the little things are going to be what are going to help keep my spirits up. I have a daily grateful list and everyday I have to find at least one thing that I am grateful for here! It’s really not that hard, but I need to make sure that I’m looking for those things because if I don’t then I will drown in the bad things.

We have many chickens and sheep, a couple goats (2 more after Saturday because new kids were born), a cow, a puppy and a kitten. I am in heaven because when I walk to the toilet in the backyard I have to walk past all of them and they all make me laugh. Also, in the mornings as I’m walking past them I look toward the mountains and it is incredible.

My good thing for Saturday was that it was Banya day. Banya is similar to a sauna, but it’s how they bathe. They sure do know how to do it here. They heat up a room and there are rocks in it that you can pour water on to make steam. You have hot and cold water in there and you mix them. It has a learning curve to figure out how to wash and rinse yourself, but it is amazing. It was hilarious watching my host mom show me how to wash myself and my clothes in there. My host sisters (who both speak English) were both standing on the side laughing with me. I love banya day!!!

Laughter has been my saving grace. When I have a communication block with my host mom we just laugh. It is great that she can do that. We get a little frustrated, but she is very patient with me and understands that I really am trying. I think that this is really going to help me grow and teach me patients for the future.

I will take pictures of where I live and my room. I have kept it really clean. It is amazing how easy it is to keep it clean when you don’t have very much stuff (only a hundred pounds is not that much). Maybe that’s the trick for when I come back to the US… I’ll only have very few things and then it’s hard to be messy because there isn’t very much to be messy with. Hmm… novel idea!

Oooo… Cultural moment. So, I found out that when you say “um…” like most Americans do when they are thinking it is a very bad word here. I need to break that habit, especially when I start to work in a school with children. Most people that I talk to here know that I am learning the language and understand that it’s a nervous habit, but I need to either say “aahh” or “mmm” but not together. My host sisters laugh at me when I say that.

Anyhow… that was a long message. That is the main gist of how life is here for me! The people are amazing and hospitable beyond belief. I love chi (tea) and that’s good because I have at least 7 cups a day (not exaggerating). I love you all and miss you.

Brooke


PS This was a few days ago. A lot has happened since but this one was so long I didn't want to overwhelm people. I am in a safe location for those of you worried.

5 comments:

  1. Keep the posts coming, no matter how long!! I'm so happy you are safe and enjoying things. It is going to be so fun to follow along with your journey and I can't wait to see pictures. Best of luck with the language. New languages are difficult no matter what but I'm sure before you know it you'll be speaking right along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke- Your blog is wonderful, keep it up! What an experience you're already having and with typical Brooke good humor and fun. You will learn the language. Don't worry, little flower! Love, Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a moment to say Hi and yes a new language will be very frustrating at first, soon you will find that you have learned enough to ask questions and at that time you will begin your mastery of the learning process. We are very proud of you and your adventure will follow you the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last comment is actually from Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful! keep them coming, long or short. I want to hear all about your adventure. I love that the farm animals keep you laughing on your way to the backyard toilet. ;-) Luvs

    ReplyDelete